PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 12:32
js0987

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I note with interest the claim by Cougar that SAC "misrepresented" how long the 92 would fly without MGB oil. Undoubtedly that was marketed while the AC was undergoing testing and development. Does marketing get out ahead of product development? All the time. Look at the Chevy Volt. Touted as an electric car with a small engine to recharge the batteries, it turns out it is not much more than another hybrid car.

Cougar might want to be careful about how it handles its claim. If they are claiming they have been misled, that infers they still believed the original claim. If management still believed the claim did they pass it on to the crews in training? Did the "land immediately" part of the RFM somehow not receive the emphasis it deserved? If the crews went through FSI for their training, then that was never an issue. I received my type rating at FSI two months before the accident and, at no time, was their ever any discussion of the MGB having a 30 minute run dry cabability. It was treated just like a fire that doesn't go out or a TGB indication with kicking in the pedals - get it on the ground.