PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 12:15
Crazy Voyager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now imagine the question is "at 15 mph, how far do you travel in 2 hours 54 minutes?"

In this case, since 54 is not straightforward, you need to find a relation between 54 and the hour, like I've done with the 4 minutes in the other example. In that example, I used 4 = 12 / 3. Now you should use 6 * 9 = 54. As 6 is 1/10 of an hour, 54 minutes is 1/10 * 9 = 9/10 of an hour. So, in 54 minutes, you travel (54 * 9) / 10 = 48.6 miles. Now just add this to the other 30 miles (15 mph * 2 hours) and you get 78.6 miles.

In the end, I just think you need to choose the method which will save you more time.

I hope this helps.
Great post but you've made a slight error here, the good thing is that it is really quite easy to spot if you think about it.
You've said that "in 54 minutes you travel (54 * 9) / 10 = 48.6 miles". But we already know that we were travelling with 15mph, so in less then one hour there's now way we can have travelled more than 15 miles.

The correct answer should be that in 54 minutes you travel 13.5 miles (15 miles per hour, and 54 minutes is 9/10 of an hour. So therefore I substracted 1.5 from 15 and got 13.5).
So final answer is 30+13.5=43.5 miles in 2 hours and 54 minutes (notice this is very close to 45 miles that you would travel in 3 hours, so the answer makes sense).

Well seems we have a lot of good posts about maths so I won't be posting more on that subject now anyhow

Nice to meet you, I too am in the morning on the 11th! So its nice to actually make contact with someone whos gonna be there at the same time! Hows the revision etc coming along? Ive been doing distance/speed/time calculations and im struggling with the division! Argh! Still a few days left to continue studying!
It's great to finally know I won't be completly alone pn the big day
I'm going to stay at the premier inn the night before, will you be driving down on the same day?

I've really not been revising the motivation paper at all, I looked it over but I know almost everything in there already (no not the aircraft specs in detail but I know the general idea, B747 for short hauls and an E135 cross the atlantic ) so therefore it hasn't been a priority.

I've been playing a little puzzle game every day ( Set Daily Puzzle ), mostly to get used to sorting shapes and because it might give me some practice in problem solving (it's quite fun aswell ), so I've done that every day for a while now.

Then I've gotten underway with the d/s/t calculations, picked up a paper for the first time yesterday, I'm solving the questions at around 22-23 seconds each now but I want to work that down a lot more. I know I spend a lot of time doing writing now that I don't need to (writing when the speed is 60mph for example). So now that's the major thing I'm trying to smooth out.

Other then that I'm planning to look over the NATS example cubes at least two times before the big day, but since I only have found those three cubes to work with it's not easy to prepare for that part. Perhaps I will make a few cubes of my own though, but we'll see.

So overall, it's going well (I think!) but it's so hard to say. I don't belive there's anyway you can overprepare for this and even I'm feeling confident in my abilities, how ever I'm still certain those test will be everything but easy.

How about yourself? It seems you're focusing a lot on the math right now?