PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Cadetship
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 11:26
RR RB211

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dreamer 84

From my limited knowledge, ATC would probably have you moving around too but as you say - at least you'd have a job. Not many airlines I know pay for relocation costs too so you may need to factor this in if you're cadet scheme focussed.

Before I gave up a well paying job I tolerated to go flying instead a very senior captain said to me "why don't you just keep doing that and go flying on the weekend for fun? It'll take you 5-10 years to earn that money again in this industry so multiply that number of years by the salary you're giving up - there's the real cost of you following that dream."

Well, I knew better of course but as I've learnt, he was right.

My two cents would be to either do the ATC thing and fly for fun on your days off once you've finished pushing them around (or stay where you are earning money for wife and kids and fly for fun)

OR

Get an instructor rating and stay in the city (I presume you live in a big city thus the reluctance to pack up and head north) and work your way up there hours wise and explore the direct entry airline option once you meet their requirements, if that is what you still want to do.

Everyone's aviation career is different and know doubt yours will be too. Good luck.