PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Cadetship
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 04:15
j3pipercub

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
dreamer,

The advice below is given with little to no experience of cadetships, but with a reasonably good knowledge of the industry. Furthermore, there is no ill-will intended below.

I would question some of your reasoning though.

I guess for me the traditional route of GA is no longer a viable option, and I know we've heard all that before from some on here. But with a wife that can't work and a baby to feed it really is out of the question to pack everything and go.
All airlines, when you are the brand new trainee will have you moving to where-ever no-one else wants to go until you move up in the seniority list (Unless you are in REX and your wife rings the CP crying, or so I've heard). How does Darwin sound? Or Wagga?

Furthermore, on what a cadetship pays, with a wife that cannot work and a little one, you will need a second job more than likely to put food on the table and have any standard of living, especially in somewhere like Darwin.

I know you're all probably thinking 'he should've thought about that before getting married/pregnant etc' but thats an argument for another day!
My personal outlook on this is that you have chosen to bring a life into this world, therefore your life is now utterly devoted to that one. You made the decision, now own it. But as you say, perhaps another day.

Have a look at some of these previous threads on the J* cadetship:

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-a...hip-again.html

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-a...cadetship.html

ABC article

Jetstar pilot program 'puts savings before safety' - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

New Zealand article (well the comments after it)

Story - Campbell Live - TV Shows - 3 News

Look beyond the smart comments and vitriol and look at the figures for pay and loans etc.

If the airline(s) paid for these cadetships and there was a significant amount of time spent in the RHS in order to get a good grasp on everything, it would be a good way to go. In fact it is probably more relevant than a 206 into Elcho Island. But they do not, the cadet must be responsible for the cost, and are essentially another revenue stream for the company.

So with respect, I don't wish to be compared to those straight out of high school with a blank cheque from their parents.
But you seem to have the same mentality as them by wanting to do this cadetship. And if you think you will have any respect with the people you hope to one day fly with, you are sadly mistaken. Take my word for it, and I do wear raybans...

There are other options though, for a new CPL, if you are in any way religious, you could try the MAF traineeship

Mission Aviation ACMA | Bible College of Victoria

I have a good friend who has two little ones and is living in Arnhem Land with them, they seem to provide a career path and a safe, stable working environment. Also you have the added plus of actually helping someone whilst doing what you love.

Just my 2 cents worth, and goodluck whatever you choose to do.

j3