PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 03:39
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grity
the grid spacing in direktion latitude is 1 minute of angle = 1 nautical mile = 1852 meter
Thanks for that information Grity. Just didn't know where to find it and I probably drew a wrong conclusion as a result.

Another slim possibility for the SE leg of the spill in addition to a portion of the aircraft (like a wing) skittering over the wave tops, might be a portion of the aircraft containing fuel sinking and encountering a subsurface current significantly different in velocity/direction, thus leaving a trail back on the surface. Project DeepSpill mapped the additive vector effects of subsurface currents during the tests and provided some interesting data on the displacement of the POL plume on its way to the surface.

Regarding potential voice communication on 121.5. I'd be very dubious. The priority has always been Aviate, Navigate, Communicate.
With the flight control issues they must have had, about the only thing you might expect to hear would be something like, "Hoist one at the bar for me." and that only after they had given up all hope, which any real aviator would never do.