PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Cadetship
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 03:25
dreamer84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airline Cadetship

Hi all,

I've been following with some interest the numerous threads on here about airline cadetships. I don't wish to begin another 'us v them' scenario here but am looking to hear a little more about the benefits/disadvantages of a cadetship in Aus.

I have a CPL but am now at the crossroads of my career/life. I'm married and have just had a child so obviously a stable career is very much at the forefront here. I even applied for ATC and have an interview next month. Just when I thought I'd settled for that idea the 'pangs' of flying professionally bit again. I guess for me the traditional route of GA is no longer a viable option, and I know we've heard all that before from some on here. But with a wife that can't work and a baby to feed it really is out of the question to pack everything and go. I know you're all probably thinking 'he should've thought about that before getting married/pregnant etc' but thats an argument for another day!

My question(s) is.....Is it a stupid idea to, over the next year or so (being currently full-time employed and living quite cheap) to aim to gain a MECIR and pass ATPL subjects with the intention of 'becoming' qualified for an airline cadetship? (specifically Jetstar.) I know the traditionalists among you probably hate the idea but if I could head north and slog it out I really would. I'd love to. I hope to hear from those with genuine and constructive advice, not from those just wishing to bash cadet schemes. I understand both sides here but if it worked out that a cadetship gave me a little more stability/possibility than the traditional route then I'm asking why not?

I'm mature enough to know how the world works and more specifically the advantages of cutting my teeth flying GA, and 2 or 3 yrs ago I would've done that no question. I've self funded my flying, slogged it out on mine sites and shearing sheds so I get what hard work is just as much as anyone. So with respect, I don't wish to be compared to those straight out of high school with a blank cheque from their parents. And I've never worn Top Gun sunnies in my life! So with a little understanding of the T & C's of JQ cadets and the like, I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks in advance for any advice.