PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAC 50th birthday, looking for 50 cracking good stories
Old 1st Nov 2010, 23:32
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was during the first Army Air Corps (1942-1957) when my godfather (Col. Bob Smith) was flying Field Marshall (Viscount) Montgomery to attend an inspection of kilt-wearing guards. Evidently 'Monty' was a stickler for punctuality and wanted to arrive on location at the precisely appointed time.

My godfather and the Field Marshall had made good speed (I shall have to ascertain which aircraft was used) so that they arrived some minutes early. Monty then told Bob to 'wait a few minutes' whereupon my godfather decided to hover behind a small tree line a short distance from the parade ground. During the animated discussion between Monty and my godfather the 'appointed time' came and went so that they were now one minute late!

In his best effort to minimise any further delay my godfather expedited a transition towards the parade ground resulting in a mini quick-stop-and-flare the effect of which was to expose Monty to the strapping manliness of a good number of the guards!

~

On a seperate occasion my godfather was caught red-handed in his mess kit on his hands and knees removing the toilet seat from a lavatory which had been specifically constructed for a visit by HM.

Knowing the prankster my godfather was, his CO collaborated with his seniors in forming a hoax court martial during which he was asked "and what exactly was your intention with this item of Her Majesty's property" and to which my godfather explained "I had wanted to hang it in the Officer's Mess with the inscription "Queen Elizabeth sat here .. or words to that effect Sir!".

Some of the older boys may recall these (and other) stories relating to the Colonel.

S.