PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter missing in the Mourne Mountains, & tributes to AJ
Old 1st Nov 2010, 20:05
Paul Chocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I first met AJ when converting to the Puma at Benson in 1998, and liked him instantly. He was a great instructor for a re-tread like myself and I enjoyed every flight with him. He had no sense of discretion and was completely non-PC, but of course, that was part of his charm.

His finesse with the Puma was simply outstanding - I remember being in Field 27, or something similar, near the M40 with him gently balancing on the nose wheel smoothly driving forward and back on the slope. Of course when I tried, I just pivoted around the nose wheel, or crashed down on the mains! Later, as a QHI myself, I tried to emulate his skill on sloping ground, but as yet have not achieved it.

Also, he once set up an approach at 500', set the controls for the descent and took his hands off - the aircraft flew a perfect approach all the way to the ground. (I think it even surprised him, mind, as we used to laugh about it every time we ran into one another.) I was lucky to see him often over the last few years, most recently at Cardiff during the Ryder Cup.

So-long AJ, you will be sorely missed, and never forgotten.