PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2010, 14:10
bearfoil

henra

I quite agree with your posting. I think it is very premature to connect the image with 447's demise. I very much like your thought that a potential impact may have provided a "double" source of fuel. To expand on it: If there was somewhat more horizontal rotation at impact, a wing and the Tail (HS) could have stopped immediately as their edges "dug in" to the sea surface. The "sequential" nature of the edge-on contact would have provided the delay and created the discrepant trajectories such that we see two "spokes" emanating from the Hub where the two arms connect. Lighter, larger components (not containing fuel) would have broken and contributed to a debris field that was markedly independent of signature at the impact (origin).

mmm43

Thank you for the info. As we get back to the "causes" of the impact, a lack of communication between ATLANTICO and 447 is disturbing, no matter the cause. Giving the benefit of the doubt to the land station, a lack of response from the a/c may well be common, and worthy of no mention at inter station hand off. DAKAR's nonchalance may be indicative of this. For two critical nav and land supports to accept the situation begs the question...Why are they there? If indeed over ocean flight is developed well enough to allow 100 per cent independence, budget issues need to be addressed. I mean this not in snide fashion, seriously, why are adjuncts to InterContinental flight budgeted if they provide no support? At any time during the flight, a passenger or crewmember could push a button on a personal device and speak to any part of the civilised world, and perhaps a part not so civilised. SELCAL was ignored (noted by JD-EE), so the salient query becomes.....what are we doing? Comms would most likely not have saved the fate of 447, but the implications of expensively maintained (?) stations dropping the ball is cause for concern. At the least, a connection may have established a position, and focused the search, returning more of the plane to those affected, as well as vastly improving the chances of recorder(s) recovery.

447 generated no communications? We don't know they didn't attempt to. At 1:36, something went unaddressed. It is possible (likely) the problems this flight encountered began around this time, yet it was hours after that anyone took notice of 447's status? Call me old fashioned, but the concept of a "Virtual Flight Plan" leaves me cold. Tracking by "Proxy" seems a little too technologically....precious.

bear

Last edited by bearfoil; 1st Nov 2010 at 14:23.