PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAC 50th birthday, looking for 50 cracking good stories
Old 1st Nov 2010, 12:19
BobbyBolkow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel Only 50!!!

Night flying exercise for 3 Flt in the wilds of North Yorkshire late '84.

All 3 A/C out with YT as OC night teamed up with IM (small furry rodent) as crew out last. Gin clear night with brilliant hunters moon. Not much point going as you could virtually 'see' all the turning points! But those were the gud 'ol days when we weren't worried about flying hours/costs etc.

Having completed all points west, started transiting east towards Sutton bank at 1500' and working 'Crab Air' at Linton. Quiet night air traffic wise but didn't mind as the 'lumpy jumper' at Linton was a bit of a honey! Anyway, whether she was bored or just trying to be helpful.....she sent a transmission;-

Lumpy jumper - Army 354 got an intermittant contact, slow moving, north to south about 2 NM ahead. It may be a train.

Me (in best serious & concerned for my safety voice) - Army 354 roger - (pause) - visual the train - (pause) - should pass underneath.

Lumpy jumper (amid echoy laughter from Linton night crew) -.......Er....roger.

Mouse in hysterics, and that was the last she spoke to us all night!

Earlier post about 'The Klink' reminded me of the time exercising with 656 in Otterburn late 70's. When getting seated in a scout, Bill S had a habit of bracing his back on the seat, feet on the pedals and 'adjusting' himself before doing up the harness. Out in the sticks and Bill jumps in to start and 'CRACK'.... snaps off right yaw pedal! Lots of muttering and expletives follow! No duals & no spares either. 'No problems' said Klink, 'I'll take it back'...............WOT!
And he did..... all the way to Farnboro with 1 pedal and a 2" stub!

Couldn't posssibly talk about flying in S. Georgia with Stephanovich, Thompson et al. Maybe save that for another day

aaaah memories!.............Where did the good times go?