PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sad news from Rotorheads
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2010, 09:13
CrabInCab

Location: Desert mainly, occasionally arctic and rarely jungle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even from beyond the grave AJ has got you lot bitching at each other - now that's a skill!

I remember the first time I met AJ, it was the just before he returned to 72 for his last stint. He was working for someone out of Blackpool (might have been rigs or air ambulance - don't recall) I was leading a pair of Pumas on a NICO and we stopped there for a suck of gas (well it was a Puma!). Having shut down all I remember was this random civvie wandering over to the cab and shouting "who the fook are you then, I'm coming back to teach you monkeys to fly soon!" and then disappearing without so much as an introduction - legend!

I also received the geese lecture but I think it concluded with "and they didn't brief for 2 hrs before hand did they?"

Certainly had my fair share of run ins with AJ but then didn't we all, I recall one time despite AJ being firmly in the wrong and having admitted it, he managed to persuade OC 72 to give me the hats on bollocking as it would be "character building" for a junior monkey like me who thought he'd got one over on a old hand!

At the end of the day he was a gifted pilot who taught me and the vast majority of my muckers most of what we know and that was a fraction of what he knew. I'm just amazed that he popped his clogs at the controls of a helicopter.

RIP and condolences to family and friends.