PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could this happen: a non-pilot landing a heavy jet ??
Old 19th Aug 2002, 12:55
Eff Oh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teropa

Well guys, I'm sorry, but I don't agree! I fly the B757-200 and B757-300. (Not B767, but close enough.) I do not think that a non, pilot would be able to successfully land a B767. You refere to the "Speed from the FMC" Well that speed only is correct for the weight you are at. You must work out the landing weight and input it to the FMC before it will give you the speed. Do you know how to do this?? Also you mention lowering the gear and flaps at "an appropriate stage", when would that be?? If you didn't you could stall the aircraft, and big aeroplanes don't recover too well from that! Could you recognise if the aircraft was high or low on the profile?? You do not need to arm all 3 autopilots above 1500ft for an autoland. It does this automatically at 1500ft. You would not know the systems well enough to complete this task. Also you seem to have forgotten the fact that at some stage it will dawn on you that you have 230odd peoples lives in YOUR HANDS and a $70million jet under your control. Could you hack it??
Next a suggestion that anyone can do it will be made. "Who needs training, I have FS2002!!!"
I like flight sim 2000/2002 and they are very realistic. But they are NO MATCH for the real thing!! So in short, no, you couldn't land it!
Eff Oh.