PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two EK Rumours
Thread: Two EK Rumours
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2010, 01:10
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
woodja51

"those that can - do.. ...those that can't- teach..." or do upgrade interviews...! lol

As a professional TRI, unfortunately, reality is just the opposite. Many 'dummies' occupy the LHS and RHS. If it wasn't for sound SOP, a good number of pilots today wouldn't get off the ground. As for failure rates, it only points to the need for better training. Evidence based training. If it points to a shi**y instructor, get rid of him.

In an ideal world, when a student fails to cut it, the student and his instructor should be expected to answer some questions. That way, solutions for remediation might be found. (Remember, every one of us has a limit to what we're able to achieve. I guess that explains why I never made it into professional sport.) Then, of course, the skill test should be measured against the regulators standard and not the personal opinion and standards of some "ace of the base".

If you're an instructor with a 50% failure rate, then I'd suggest you're overdue for some serious inward reflections on whether or not you can actually teach. The last thing I'd expect EKs would want in its training organization is an instructor who can't teach and a TRE/TRI that uses his own standard as the yardstick rather than the regulators.

"No such thing as a bad student - just a bad instructor.."
I'm not sure where this statement came from but I couldn't disagree more. There are hundreds of bad students out there. Hundreds, if not thousands. So, don't kid yourself.

Sorry to disagree, but those who CAN, teach. Those who can't, fly the line. Whether or not it's that way at EKs is a different matter.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Everlearn; 1st Nov 2010 at 01:24.