PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates vs. Air Canada
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2010, 00:00
engfireleft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's all about protecting money losing goliath that's Air Canada. Even if AC cut workers salaries in half they would still be losing money. Why don't you hear Qantas or Air New Zeland crying out like AC? EK flies to all major Australian and NZ cities, picking up pax to Dubai and then transferring them wherever they need to go. I think EK even flies between AUS and NZ collecting pax.

The fact is Dubai has a great location between Africa and Asia. Yeah, and that's only about half the worlds population they have access to. AC can only dream about those possibilities. They are able to provide pax from Asia and Africa with worldwide service on a daily basis, often with minimal wait in Dubai. Most of the African and poorer Asian countries will never have airlines big enough (or safe enough) to satisfy the needs for air travel to their citizens. AC can't compete on a global level, not as a private held airline and especially not as a government airline.

Think back to the days of Canadian Airlines and Air Canada. AC can't handle competition, they know they have an inferior product. But in using dirty tactics, bullying, government protection.... AC has an executive mba.
HM, sounds much like Emirates. Seems to me Air Canada has met a dirtier adversary then themself, and they just can't handle it.
No business, doesn't matter what it is, is going to sit idly by while a competitor strolls in to take away their business. Not if they want to stay in business. Throw national interests into the mix and what do you expect?

Singling out Air Canada for such behavior is a bit ridiculous especially when you consider how Dubai went off the deep end of reason just because their own airline was denied more access into a foreign country. I mean, let's keep things in perspective here.