PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A330s
Thread: Qantas A330s
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2002, 11:56
Fubaar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
‘FMU’, regarding your comment
In my experience both the pilots and the engineers like the A330/340. The pilot/aircraft interfaces are very user friendly, and they are a pleasure to work on.
From many comments I’ve heard from engineers, I think it would be more accurate to say that, for the A330 at least, the pilots love ’em but the engineers hate ’em. More than one engineer has commented on the Airbus’ (too) lightweight construction – ie, if something structural breaks, it has to be replaced rather than patched and repaired, (as can often be done on a Boeing), because the structure is simply too lightweight (or too often composite) to cope with trimming it back to make a repair.

I’ve heard from quite a few friends who’ve flown both the 340 and the 330 that the preference between the two is almost overwhelmingly in favour of the 330. The 340’s a dog – at least the -300 is. Four hair dryers in lieu of engines, I understand, but this should be fixed by the -500 and -600 with the far more powerful Trents. (But this won’t concern Qantas.) Either type can sometimes be a total pain to share the airways with if you’re driving the ‘other’ product, simply because of the Airbus’ slower cruising speed. I’ve heard less than complimentary comments regarding the fly by wire controls in really bad conditions (monsoons in Asia). My friend didn’t feel as ‘in touch’ with the aircraft in the very gusty conditions as he would have liked to have been in that last 50’ prior to touchdown.

Interestingly, on the point of the pilots loving the Bus, when the conversation rolls around to whose toy is the nicest, the most frequent comment from the Bus drivers to shoot down the Boeing boys is “Ah, but we’ve got the table.”

It’s certainly true to say that the Bus has far more bells and whistles than the Boeing, but this makes it a far ‘busier’ aircraft to operate than the Boeing. There’s little doubt that both are excellent products, but they are built (and, to a lesser degree, operated) to a different set of principles. Certainly their computer software is very different in its approach to the man/machine interface. Personally, having flown more than one type made by both manufacturers, I prefer the Boeing philosophy, but I have friends whose preference swings the other way, and I’m sure the Bus will have its champions (and detractors) within Qantas within a few months of its introduction.

Regarding the comment that QF has written a full maintenance cost clause into their purchase contract, I sincerely hope they’ve read the smallest of the small print, because Airbus has traditionally made its money from its very expensive spares rather than from its sometimes giveaway aircraft sale prices. Either way, if the story of the fixed maintenance costs story is true, I believe someone – either the QF shareholders or the long-suffering EU taxpayers – is going to end up way out of pocket. It will be interesting to see how the new type pans out in QF. Only time will tell.