PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Aircrew - Asthma?
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2010, 21:22
Jonesyboy92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAF Aircrew - Asthma?

Hi,
As I understand, there are a few other posts about this, but my case is a bit different and others won't fully answer my question.
Essentially, I'm 17 and have applied to join the RAF as a pilot and I understand they are very picky about asthma in aircrew, let alone ground crew.

I'm going to have to be very vague here, and you've maybe heard it all before but basically, I think I must've stopped using an inhaler when I was round about 4 or something, can't really remember but I have memories of me asking for a drink ready for every time I took an inhale cause it tasted horrible, lol . I have just asked my Dad about it, and he says as he can remember he 'thinks it was just a precuation' On the other hand, my Mam has said I was 6 months when I was admitted to hospital with chestiness as by-product of chickenpox or something, and it was then I got an inhaler.
After that, I have never been affected in any way by my 'asthma' (note the inverted commas).

Around a year ago however, I was dogsitting for my Dads girlfriend (her and my dad live separetely) whilst she was away on holiday, and I during that time, I let her (the dog that is, lol ) sleep in my room. Then one night, the day after the dog went home, I woke in the middle of the night with a very tight chest and wheezing. I wasn't in any pain or particular discomfort, nor was I panicking and agitated, just I found the experience very annoying and just wanted to go back to sleep but couldn't really. Nontheless, eventually I did get back to sleep but the following day wondered if it could have been an asthma attack. I booked an appointment at my local surgery (a small rural surgery if it counts for anything) and was allocated a nurse. She did a few tests and gave me a blue inhaler and told me to just take them if I ever felt chesty. Hence, this is obviosuly now on my medical record.

Since that time, however I have never felt any need at all to use the inhaler that was prescribed. When I have used it occasionally (purely for the crack) I can honestly say I have never felt any difference or relief.

In short, flying is my dream and my only career prospect. The only realistic way I could achieve it is by joining the RAF, as I haven't a cat's chance in hell of affording flying lessons as I come from absolutely nothing. <-- No, thats not some sort of sob story, lol, just explaining how much it means to me.

So basically, I was wondering what the chances were of the RAF accepting me on medical terms if I got those two accounts of asthma on my medical record down as misdiagnoses? I am going to book an appointment with my GP indefinately. My only potential mistake is I'm hoping, optimistically, he will look upon my situation with empathy. Who knows, if I slip him 50 notes hell alter my records for me, no questions asked... erm, actually somehow, I don't think so, not with the enormous wage hel'll be on anyway... bugger

Thanks alot guys. Any input is much appreciated!

EDIT:
A few things I reckon I should have mentioned, those being the grounds for the two claimed misdiagnoses: for the first one as a complication of chickenpox and secondly merely as a symptom of pet allergy. Secondarily, I'm wanting to pilot larger multi-engined aircraft and not mentalistically fast, smaller jets, though whether this will have any bearing, I haven't a clue.
Also, I was at the doctors only this week about a bit of a skin condition, and mentioned that I wanted to join the RAF as a pilot. He also mentioned he wanted to be a pilot in the RAF also, but could not, in his words: 'for medical reasons'. I wonder if he would empathetical and supportive??