PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Police helicopter budget cuts
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2010, 20:15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No one has once mentioned the force multiplier the police helicopter represents. Yes it costs serious money to operate but it saves even more money by supporting the bobbies on the street. If it wasn't for the helicopter you wouldn't have any bobbies in the street because they would all be down the local park/ sportsfield / fields looking for the missing old person/ young child/ suicidal/ sick person spending hours searching, you wouldn't have time for much else. How do you expect to follow a criminal round town/ village on foot or by car when you can't see over the fence/ wall especially nowadays when you no longer can rely on the public ringing in because they no longer spend any time in front of the kitchen sink looking out the window thanks to the dishwasher nor much time is spent in the garden since they are too busy running around trying to keep on top of their lives?

Do you know how much a death or an injury costs???? Offshore a death cost around £1.000.000 and I seem to remember on land the cost isn't far short of that. Google will tell you.

Now more than ever we need more rather than less helicopters.

I once had been told, only 4 years ago Merseyside would fly their tanks empty because they knew a helicopter overhead made for a safer town but because you can not actually put figures to this common sense .....

One last point if I may, I have also been told that it would cost several million pounds for NPAS to buy all those PBH contracts for all those new aircraft currently in the fleet coupled with the handful of new bases at £1.000.000 each I can't see any saving myself on the contrary.......

But some of you keep saying one should wake up and smell the coffee and understand change is coming and accept it. I am happy to accept change if it is for the better not for the worse.