PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2010, 20:06
M2dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NW1
I do remember there was always controversy in training circles about the Cleanup Items and when or where (or even "IF"?) they should be run: but IF the AF flight had run the Fire / Severe Damage drill and IF they had run the Cleanup Items soon afterwards, then their situation would not have been so dire.
I do remember well that the AF incident was as a result of severe vibration, that was what I was (not very elequently) eluding to in my previous post. The engine shut down was due to these vibrations, not because of any fuel loss. According to Rolls Royce the fuel pipe fracture ended up being as a result of an engine build failure, on the part of the AF sub-contractors. However my 'eyes closed' comment still holds here I'm afraid, it's basic situational awareness folks. And I'm not jumping to any conclusions here , I helped investigate the first of the serious errors (the experimental c/b tripping/overfuel surge incident) when I was still at British Aerospace in early 1977 and learned long ago to get my facts straight as far as possible in these things.
As a grotty old engineer I tend to lack the subtlety and diplomatic skills of you guys, but this coming at the end of such a long catalogue of gross errors, this possibly last straw in the life of Concorde was in my view also the very last straw in terms of these serious procedural failures too.
There are so many events in Concorde's history that we would like to 'roll back the clock' on, but this extremely pivotal one has to be just about at the top of a very big pile (save of course for the Gonesse tragedy).

Dude

Last edited by M2dude; 31st Oct 2010 at 21:06.