PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2010, 20:04
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Relax, don’t shoot the messenger ! I am not against lateral offset , just telling you it won’t be mandated , and if you do it in controlled airspace where it is not authorized ( e.g RNP1-5) you are not legal. Now if you are above or in an area with no surveillance and are using GPS for nav,, I would recommend it .A few States do authorize it . But this is not what ICAO mandate and not something your insurance company will support.

I have not the will nor the time to look for the old paperwork, if you are really interested contact ICAO or IFALPA. The IFALPA ATS Comm chairman at the time ( Capt Foreman, a brilliant guy) started the discussion this after the mid-air collision in Sioux look out (Canada) in 1995, they aimed first at voluntary off set, then FMS-embedded. Both did not work for various reasons , but the final blow was given by the “mathematicians group report “ of ICAO which demonstrated that with offs set especially on crossing tracks you increased risk.(using rather basic geometry if my memory serves me well) This combined with the fact that not 100% of aircraft will ever be able to offset automatically, and the very complex transition from off-set airspace to precision APP, killed the project.

Now you can take my word for it, or look for the Working papers and reports for yourself .

Now for the ½ or ¼ NM that ATC will not see : in RNP 1 or 5 , many tracks are separated by 5 NM and you are expected to be on centerline, if not you will set off a lot of alarms , STCAs, etc.. on the ground. Read the RNP guidelines.

Lastly, this is at thread about the Brazil collision, not about offset, If you want to reopen the investigation , read first all the relevant posts here, then read the final report ( 266 pages plus the annexes) Then we can discuss if there is something new. I’d love it . But even if offset would have been mandated in 2006 , it would have been only in remote areas with no surveillance ( radar or ADS). It would not have been mandated above the Amazon, because this was (still is afaik) declared radar controlled airspace. So in fact not really relevant to discuss it here.