PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 880 tonight = No FO. Let's keep it that way
Old 31st Oct 2010, 15:20
BEKOL Magic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ex Cathedra,

The morale being? Just give up and break out the K-Y?
You're also inevitably going to die one day. Why not just shorten your misery and throw yourself off the roof or something?

Or is that your reasonable excuse for working Gs?
The thought had never crossed my mind (read below, life has never been better); it sounds like you're getting close to it though. With all effort and no outcome, it mustn't be easy.

You may not realise it but you're already putting that KY to good use. Any sign of goodwill from management recently? It doesn't look like they're in any despair. In fact, they're profiting!

This year, I realised aviation isn't a market where one could prosper any more (unless you're an executive of course). I jumped ship and I work for an investment bank now and have never looked back. I decided to put my tertiary education to good use and the transition has been surprisingly smooth. Now I can fly on holidays for pleasure and not have to worry about being exploited any more. The best part is actually the extra time at home (not getting over jet lag).

I do regret that commercial aviation, especially in HK, has changed for the worse over the past 10-20 years.

The market is on the up and I know my bonus is looking good this year

gotcha

geh065,
Good point, I will withdraw my judgement on Unions in HK and just narrow it down to airline union(s) in the SAR.

Although, the people working for those companies in HK were on a pittance and needed the increased wage to survive which it seems is why the unions did achieve something.

Also, with a company of Cathay's diverse range of pilot contracts - ie expats (a scale, b scale), CEPs, previous LEPs - it is a gargantuan task to ask everyone to rally together when each group wants something different. Even worse when there is mistrust and often bad feeling between the ranks. Divide and conquer!

Good luck with that.

BEKOL Magic