PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P1/P2 as student
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2002, 10:31
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with everything foggy says.

It's also worth pointing out what happens after you get your PPL. If you're flying an aircraft which only requires one pilot, only one person can log P1. If there are two qualified pilots on board, you must decide which of you is going to log P1. Usually, this will be the owner of the aircraft, or the person who has hired the aircraft from the club. The other person can not log any of this time, even if he as at the controls. And the person who is logging P1 is always responsible for the aircraft, even if not at the controls.

On one occassion, I went flying with AerBabe. She rented the aircraft from her club, so she was P1, even though I have more hours than she does, and even though I was at the controls for a portion of the flight. During that flight, while I was at the controls, the alternator warning light came on. She used her decision-making powers as commander of the aircraft to ask me for advice. (She was still commander, even though I was at the controls.) I suggested cycling the alternator switch, which she did, and it cured the problem. She made the decision, as commander of the aircraft, to return to the airfield as soon as possible. Despite the fact that I had the controls of the aircraft, had more hours than her, and it was my suggestion which cured the in-flight problem, I don't get to log any of that time. But of course, I have offered her a flight in my aircraft in return, and I get to log all of that time even though she was at the controls for much of the flight, so it all evens out in the end!

Good luck with your training!

FFF
--------------