PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobile Phone rules??
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2002, 10:12
Crossedcontrols

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is not just interference to comms and nav systems, the dreaded GSM is a great generator of “Spiney Normans”, a technical term for electrical spikes, which are the kiss of death to any digital system. I’m told that one worry is the false triggering automatic systems such as fire extinguishers etc.

Regarding the interference with the network. I’d be inclined to agree with skeet surfer, most of the cell sites have down tilt and there is little coverage when airborne (I’ve tried it a few times at 1500 ft in a Cub (not known for much in the way of RF shielding) with no service. But I may have a cr@p phone on a cr@p network.

A few years ago there were tales of some guy who got a huge bill because his phone kept a zillion cells busy when he used his mobile when airborne. Not true, the phone only has one transmitter, and will only talk to one cell at a time. It is true that the frequencies are repeated, but there is a method of frequency hopping to try and even out the good, bad and ugly traffic channels.

Even if this tale was from the days of Analogue ETACS had a way of dealing with calls on the same Control Channel frequency.

Anyway the phone should be treated like fags (sorry cigarettes for our US friends). It is possibly hazardous to stand next to someone using one, especially in a metal tube with reasonable RF screening as the mobile will turn up the wick and transmit at max power rather than the usual minimum, when in a good service are.
The jury is still out on the effect of 900/1800MHz of RF in the bonce, but who knows.

The above is only my opinion based on some experience but I'd be pleased to hear any other experiences or theories.

Regards to all

CC

Last edited by Crossedcontrols; 19th Aug 2002 at 10:38.