PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WSOp's/WSO's at Kinloss, what does the future hold?
Old 31st Oct 2010, 11:32
Biggus

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
While this is not a personal dig at wokkamate, his comment....

"..you have all been lucky enough to have the stability of living in one place for many many years while the rest of us got moved every 2-2 1/2 years..."

is typical of similar comments made by some on this thread.

I would dispute this particular line of reasoning, or at least the concept that it is rare/lucky - while not claiming that those at Kinloss deserve special treatment.

The question you have to ask is how many other fleets are now single base, and have been for some time, thus providing some aircrew with the possibility of spending an entire flying career at one location.

For example, how many people may have spent their entire flying career at either:

Lyneham
Odiham
Brize Norton
Waddington
Kinloss

You could even argue that with the closure of RAFG some years ago, some people had a considerable period of stability at:

Coltishall
Wittering (Cottesmore is not far to drive)

Yes, geographically Kinloss provides an extreme example, but as the RAF has shrunk over the years many aircraft fleets now occupy only one base, providing potential stability for aircrew who stay on one type.

Oh, and I moved 12 times in my first 20 years in the RAF, so please don't think I have a personal issue with this either way - just trying to be objective!