PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WSOp's/WSO's at Kinloss, what does the future hold?
Old 31st Oct 2010, 10:37
Sideshow Bob

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thing is this is not the first time we have gone through this, when I joined in the mid 80's there was something like 96000 in the Airforce. Once this is over we will be at about a 1/3 of this. It's a difficult time but you just have to ride through it. No matter what you do, the decision is not yours to make (unless you volunteer, there was lots of volunteers in the mid 90's who did not get redundancy). All you can do is try to keep working hard and don't let your head go down, show yourself as a better prospect than the next man.

The numbers have not been decided yet (I heard about 2600 natural wastage 2400 redundancy, no-one knows how many will volunteer) and even then, it's got to be broken down into trade, rank and target group (time left, engagement ect). This isn't going to be released for about 6 months.

The only difference I can see with APFS '05 is if you are past your initial pension point you only get a half pension until age 55. If you are on AFPS '75 you get a full pension. That's just my take but then again we will have to wait and see what the terms are when released

Tigermate it's a bit more complicated than Pic's. Lots of people in the 90's were let go without their pics going, legally. The main thing is Manning Levels; you can't get rid of say 20 Air Engs and then recruit 20 SAC Mechs to do their job (though some may be better at it).

It's a tough time for all WSOp's (remember we are all one trade now so it is easier for them to re-allocate manpower). We just have to ride it out. I may not survive but I'm certainly not going to worry about what if's.