PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter missing in the Mourne Mountains, & tributes to AJ
Old 31st Oct 2010, 09:53
col ective

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The fixed wing crossover story was true. When the QFI gave him a simulated engine failure, he carried out the Puma immediate actions and put the gear down............ at 240kts!!

(Limit 140)"

... and when the QHI said you've just overstressed the gear he said "no I haven't, you are the fookin captian!"

Allegedly when he went to C130 he couldn't understand why he had to do a conversion rather than "just sitting in the RHS and picking it up as he went along".

I recall a Puma det in Denmark when the serviceable aircraft was needed back at Gutersloh. When I tried to get AJ to fly it back IFR he refused on the grounds that "you might bloody well do that in the RAF but we don't in the Army!" The comic thing was he'd transferred by then.

He and Ang were our neighbours at Gutersloh and were great company. He could be a royal pain in the ass at times but he was a nice one and 100% genuine. Condolences to Ang, Brett and Amy. RIP AJ,