PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many hours do YOU fly per year?
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2002, 09:12
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something wrong with my PC, I can't vote in these polls. But then I'm not sure how I'd vote anyway, since I have never had a "normal" year, and I'm not sure exactly what I should include as "just for fun". So I'll have to write a post instead. Would be nice to see more posts on this thread to describe what kind of flying you all do, rather than just hitting a voting button!

I don't have my logbook with me, so all numbers are approximate, but here goes. Started flying in summer 2000. Logged about 25 hours in 2000, but that was only half a year.

In the first half of 2001 I finished off my PPL, which took another 30 hours or so. Between July and November, I was flying "just for fun" as often as I could, and logged about 40 more hours. This included about 6 hours on a tail-dragger check-out.

It was around October/November when I decided to start working towards my ATPL, so I spent the whole of December/January in America, hour-building. I do definitely count this as flying "for fun", but I'm not sure whether it fits the description of "just for fun." I logged more hours than the minimum required for the CPL training, in more varied types than I needed to, and I didn't get my Class 1 medical until after I returned from America because even if I failed the Class 1 I knew that I'd still have enjoyed my "flying holiday"- so yes, fun was the main factor, with hour-building coming a close second. In 2 months, I logged around 100 hours. This included a complex check-out on an Arrow, some more comprehensive tail-dragger training, aerobatics, multi-engine flying (I logged 5 hours, but didn't get the class rating, because I couldn't afford to keep it current if I did) and a night qualification, and a load of flying around Arizona and the South West enjoying the view!

Since February, I've only managed to log about 10 or 20 hours. In April I bought a share in my own aircraft - a Europa monowheel. Not too much time logged on the Europa yet though. It took a while before I could arrange a time when the instructor was free, but I did eventually get checked out. Since then, I've been fairly busy working on the ATPL exams. When I have planned on flying, the weather's often been crap. And the plane has been out of action for a few weeks while we've been fixing a few things on it, and now it's about to have a 100-hour check done.

I hope to be able to start logging a reasonable number of hours again next month, when the 100-hour check is complete, but with half of the ATPL groundschool studying still to do, it will probably be next March before I can get back to a "normal" level of flying again. I'd guess "normal" would be flying 2 weeks in 3 on average, weather permitting, and around 1 or 2 hours each time I fly, with an occassional longer trip. But who knows!

Hope that answers the question!

FFF
----------------