PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did you pay for your licence
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2002, 06:54
Charlie Foxtrot India

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Happy memories

I worked in and off in dairy farming milking cows etc for eight years to pay for uni, PPL and hours building. One day I'll work out how many udders and 4am starts it took to get the 200 hours! A scholarship helped pay for the CPL, then I took out a bank loan for the instructor rating which was paid off with four jobs at once, as a supermarket manager on shifts during the week, weekend hire-car chick, relief milking at horrible times of day and night, and about five hours of instructing a week in my "spare time".

While doing all this, my like minded mates were working as barmen, bouncers, hire car reps, schoolteachers, firemen, baggage handlers, panel beaters, hoteliers, check-in at the airport, hangar rats, all sorts of things. All of them self funded, all now in LHS of UK airlines.

But there was one little rich girl among us, who had it sorted by having Daddy buy her a brand new Archer to build her hours in. She was the only one who never made a career out of flying, and became a rich little housewife instead. The Archer gathers dust in a hangar somewhere.

Saved up to start my own GA business working three years in a dairy lab testing milk products, and instructing part-time.

As an instructor, you can really see the difference in motivation between those who have earned it and those who get it on a plate.
Good luck!

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot India; 21st Aug 2002 at 13:39.