PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2010, 10:35
mm43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JD-EE

Lets go back in the time machine...!

Once the SELCAL had checked at 0135 it appears the crew selected SELCAL watch as ATLANTICO's attempts to contact them a few seconds later went unanswered. Why ATLANTICO failed to SELCAL them is another matter. We don't even know if AF447 had selected 123.45, but no one has reported hearing them on either HF or VHF after 0135. A failed ADS-C connection at 0201 with DAKAR OCEANIC is the only evidence of cockpit activity.
I suspect the above from post #4480 in the original AF447 thread takes us back to the time you are mentioning.

For what it is worth, I seem to remember that Dakar's time was 1 minute fast, and I suspect that the ADS-C connection was an auto connect that failed because Dakar hadn't received the flight plan. ETA TASIL was 0220z, and I wouldn't expect an HF call on 6535kHz until close to that time. Bear in mind that ATLANTICO and DAKAR don't share the same HF suite of frequencies, and if ATLANTICO had any doubts about the aircraft establishing contact with DAKAR they would have requested a confirmation of transfer back on their own frequency. In this case, we know that the AFTN comms between ATLANTICO and DAKAR was good, and in theory DAKAR would have requested the a/c position from ATLANTICO if a transfer call had not been received. All this got messed up by the "misplaced" flight plan.

So, in summary the a/c was not overdue for a report until 0220z, and DAKAR OCEANIC allowed it to continue on a virtual flight plan filed by ATLANTICO without much thought until they were later queried by ATLANTICO when questions started coming out of Paris. Remember the failed auto connect on ADS-C doesn't necessarily indicate cockpit activity or not.

As an after thought .... this is not helping in finding where the aircraft impacted with "terra oceania". Methinks that with the amount of water that has passed under the clouds, that the "pollution spot" is as good a place to start as any other.

mm43