PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rumour: Sunstate Engineers suspended over aircraft sabotage?
Old 30th Oct 2010, 07:30
DasTrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark Davey: Message to QantasLink Staff Earlier this evening there has been media coverage relating to cockpit door access on our QantasLink Dash 8 fleet. The reports included claims by ALAEA’s Federal Secretary, Steve Purvinas, that : (i) the cockpit doors on the QantasLink Dash 8 aircraft are unsafe and do not meet regulatory requirements, (ii) that management has been aware of this for some time and did nothing to rectify the situation and (iii) Sunstate LAMEs who investigate the cockpit doors will be reported to Fair Work Australia. I can confirm that Senior QantasLink Engineering staff have reviewed the cockpit door installation and have validated that the door installation is in full compliance with both CASA and DOTARS regulations. A program to further upgrade security of the doors was commenced well before either the LAMEs or Mr Purvinas elected to report this issue to the media. The program is well advanced and will be completed by our maintenance staff by Friday 29 October. And finally, Fair Work Australia ruled last Wednesday 22 October in favour of QantasLink by declaring that the Brisbane LAMEs have been taking unprotected industrial action with the support of the ALAEA. The Commission has subsequently issued a Stop Order against the ALAEA and the LAMEs. The Company is required to investigate and report any unprotected industrial activity. The ALAEA are using the media as part of their ongoing Sunstate Line Maintenance industrial campaign. Please find below a copy of the media statement released by Qantas in response to the ALAEA claims. Narendra Kumar Executive Manager QantasLink
27/10/2010

The company have had door issues for years with several pilots picking up injuries due to the locking mechanism on some of the Q400s. The proposed solution to that problem is a joke and a half , and I hear that the FA union has put a hold on the new plan.