PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All Viking Pilots Have Been Fired
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2010, 03:50
anonymousviking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is an absolute fiasco and a disgrace! I am genuinely upset and appalled that Phil Wyatt would issue a statement promoting an investment into what I can only describe as a 'joke airline'.

'' I am confident that Viking Airlines will be flying out of the UK again in some shape or form'' - Phil Wyatt

Cue silence – wind, dust and tumbleweed. I am sure there are other guaranteed ways of bringing joy to peoples lives. Disappointing thousands more holiday makers once again next summer surprisingly doesn’t come out top of everybody’s list.

On a serious note, as many of you will be aware, the majority of airlines and tour operators were overwhelmed this year. With an economic downturn, followed by a natural volcanic disaster thrown in for good measure, many businesses failed to recover, some bowing out more graciously than others.

With the confident assurances Mr Wyatt reveals to the public in his statement, it is a wonder why he and his associates didn’t apply for this years - Apprentice. If only they were pitching their ideas to Lord Sugar. I’m sure his witty response and sharp tongue would amuse the wider audience and would sound something along the lines of-
"Could be you’re here because you’re good with words and know the right thing to say at the right time. I know the words to Candle in the Wind. It don't make me Elton John." – Lord Alan Sugar
Viking Airlines missed their calling on Lord Alan Sugars - The Apprentice but they would definitely give Aunty Wainwright from - Last of the Summer Wine a run for her money. The sly and grasping junk shop owner who manages to lure unsuspecting customers into purchasing any unwanted items from her shop.

Humour aside, Noel Josephides, managing director of Sunvil Holidays and former non-executive chairman of the airline is adamant –

‘The airline hasn’t ceased trading or anything like that. It will resume flying next summer.’ – Noel Josephides

You can imagine this news raises the odd eyebrow especially for the many redundant Viking Airline employees who were issued a statement today with regard to their final pay.

Over to you - Viking Airlines Managing Director and Accountable Manager, Phil Lintott-Clarke.

‘Please forgive the general nature of this email. As you will know we have now commenced our period of reconstruction.

We are working closely with our lawyers in Stockholm to find a way through this complex process. I am hopeful that we should be in a better position to know what the way forward will be by 17th of November when we will have concluded discussions with Lessors and other large creditors. The Company had lined up a substantial trade backed investment but due to the uncertainty of any lessors claims on the business this has been put on ice until we can conclude negotiations with these Lessors – we are assured the investment is still available subject these claims being reasonable.

If we are successful in reaching Agreement with the Lessors and the investment remains forthcoming we will be in a position to pay the respective crew leasing agency the charges due up to the end of October – If we are not successful I regret to advise that I expect that no October dues will be forthcoming.’

Thanks for the heads up Phil Lintott-Clarke.

Viking Airlines can be found during the festive period in your local garden centre this year ladies and gentlemen as - The Grinch who stole Christmas.

This is a long line of what I like to call – Good Friday Emails. These are the ones that pop up in your inbox, issued on the last day of the week, which you can not respond too and are managements way of avoiding having to answer any awkward questions.

Viking Airlines knee jerk reactions to the financial climate of 2010 knocked the confidence and lessened the feeling amongst its employees, something no doubt felt by its passengers. Portraying itself as a healthy contender only adds genuine insult to the many staff and their families who will be wondering where their next pay check will be coming from.

Viking Hellas has been drafted to operate this winter schedule on behalf of Viking Airlines AB. A rocky start saw the impounding of a Viking Hellas aircraft at Gatwick Airport on Mon 18 Oct 2010 due to non payment of fees owed by the Viking Group.

In a statement, Gatwick Airport said –
‘We can confirm that a Viking aircraft was detained by Gatwick Airport yesterday (18 October) as a result of an unpaid, long-standing debt owed by Viking Group’.
‘Gatwick did not take this action lightly, but after months of chasing payment without success it became apparent that this was, regrettably, the only option left to recover the monies owed. The aircraft was released following the receipt of payment made by Viking Group’.
Understandably employees would be naturally upset that the Viking Group has the ability and financial resource to bail out one of their assets ie. their aircraft, but fail to recognise the many employees who worked long hours to ensure the airlines productivity and resilience during a challenging year and who aren’t going to be paid at the end of this month – aren’t they considered assets by the Viking Group too?
To conclude my rant.
It is my belief that a recession can have a positive affect on businesses. It encourages innovation, strengthens competition and encourages improved standards of customer service. Those businesses who lack the ability to deliver on their promise’s, provide a substandard quality of customer service and who continually demonstrate a profound lack of business etiquette have little chance in today’s economy. The man made corporate equivalent of natures own natural selection. The process where the weak will be weeded out and the stronger contenders continue to recover, move forward and flourish.

Viking Airlines cowboy endeavours lack substance and more importantly fundamental integrity. They are a disgrace to the aviation industry and have no moral obligation to uphold to their employees or customers alike. They are more likely to be seen on BBC’s Watchdog than Wish you were here.

Thank you for listening I hope I raised a smile amongst the obvious concern.

- Anonymous