PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2010, 03:40
EXWOK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel-saving landings

I can't give you much of the background but can remember the bare bones - here they are, without the benefit of manuals so subject to the usual caveats:

A large proportion of the take-off mass consisted of fuel on this machine, hence an early return would require a lot of fuel to be jettisonned to get down to Max Landing Weight.

Obviously it would be nice not have to lose all this fuel, partly to save fuel and partly to save time.

A higher Max Landing Weight (130T) was made permissable for airborne returns given certain caveats - I can't remember all of them, but obviously a decent length of runway (to avoid caning the brakes), no braking unserviceabilities, and the brakes had to be cool and the gear lowered early amongst other considerations. Go-around performance had to be considered if hot-and-high. That's a fuel-saving landing, and it was worth about 20T of gas.

I only did a couple and it was a non-event.

It has to be remembered that certificated MLW is predicated on many factors, and some fairly high Rates of Descent at touchdown, and on any aircraft one may be faced with a siruation that requires an immdeiate landing, possibly at Max TOW. MLW is a conservative figure.

I don't recall any specific required inspections, the whole point of justifying this procedure would be to obviate that requirement, but it's fair to say that the type of issues that would precipitate a fuel-saving landing would ensure the airframe wouldn't be flying again that day anyway. Both of mine earned themselves a bit of time off.

Now, one of the gentlemen with manuals to hand (or better memories) will, I hope, fill in the inevitable gaps.......