PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester Airport - Then & Now
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2010, 23:52
jonquigley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah Nostalgia!

I remember those seats with the black n white TVs in the arm! The height of technology at the time, even if the reception was cr*p.

Ringway has always had a special place in my heart too. All the strands that run throughout this thread...the rubber floor tiles, chandeliers, Alcock & Brown bronze, clickety-clack departure board, that "special" feeling of impending adventure that built as you approached the place...actually wearing your Sunday best to travel rather than a shell suit as the great unwashed do today.

Flew out of Ringway from late 60's as a youngster. Always to Ireland to spend summer hols with Grandparents and always with Aer Lingus or BEA. Adored the Viscount & the sound of those props! As time went on the 1-11 took over, but always wanted to go on a Caravelle but they didn't do Manc-Dub or Belfast.

Unaccompanied minor several times & was tended hand & foot by beautiful stewardesses, although I have never found them so keen to tend to my every need now that I am old enough to appreciate it!

I was once due to fly to Dublin, can only have been 1967-1969, but on arrival at Manc the runway was closed due to an a/c suffering collapsed undercarriage. Had to be coached to Speke where KLM DC9 took us to Dublin. Any of you remember this incident or was I hallucinating?

Having been trying to build Airfix planes since before I had stopped dribbling, aviation was in my blood but unattainable. My parents bought me a flying lesson as a birthday pressie about 1991 with MFS on the old Southside prior to the 2nd runway being built. Following a landing Aer Lingus 737 in that old Tomahawk was captivating! I late managed to afford infrequent PPL lessons & now fly out of Barton having realised my dream.

Now sadly, corporate capitalism has taken hold of this once great place, and whilst I am still inexorably drawn to my local airport, I regard the whole operation with utter cynicism...apart from airside that is, where the real magic still happens.