PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Setting Parking Brake On Runway Before Take Off
Old 29th Oct 2010, 23:35
DownIn3Green
Person Of Interest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oreso on

Everyone here is missing the BIG POINT!!!...Why are you holding in position on the runway for several minutes at all???

Doesn't anyone remember America West (I believe) holding in position for minutes at LAX before it was smashed like a bug by a USAir 737-400 killing all on the metroliner and even more on the 737???

We all should learn from accidents, or at least we should...

Valujet...don't try to get a burning A/C back to the airport...EAL 66 at JFK, don't fly into windshears...etc...

I'm sure to the Metroliner pax and USAir customers it didn't matter if the metroliner had the parking brake set or not...

The lesson all of us Capt's should get from that one is don't "taxi into position and hold" and wait 2 or 3 minutes for clearance...

True the controllers screwed the pooch on that one, but the final link in the chain was lack of situational awareness by both flight crews...(ala the KLM and PAA guys in the Canary Islands)...more so on the KLM Captain...

As for the parking brake on the rwy, doesn't apply to my flts because I won't be holding "in position" that long...

Rather taxi off and wait until the controllers have the "big photo"...

And this is not a "slam" at ATC...I was one for 10 yrs before moving laterally to the cockpit...