PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2010, 14:27
bearfoil

JD-EE

In your response
you note an attempt at "modelling" via a paper model. It was an original and valid venture. Have you forgotten how some of us modelled the VS in an attempt to better understand how it may have behaved had it fallen from some distance?

It is beyond logic to demand "data" exclusively here, the discussion would have disappeared months ago with BEA's first thirty day report. Data as has been released is sparse, (transparency from the authority is lacking?), much if not all of this interesting give and take is flowing from "what-ifs" and possibilities based on accident history and basic physics as offered by intelligent and engaged folks.

Any engineering format will be challenged by nature and circumstance. Nature brooks no fools nor haphazard construction/inattention. As I have said, I believe accidents end up being numbingly obvious; the surprise is "ours", some unplanned for misstep or failing.

In accident investigation, "data" is suggestive, instructive. Establishing the chain is the challenge.

A long ago accident involved a "DC" propellor a/c that caught fire while airborne; it crashed. Looking for "data" suggested that a gasoline "supply" to the Cabin Heater was intended to vent into the airstream, but in rare aerodynamic aspect, the liquid fuel dumped directly into the heater's skin mounted intake. More recent crashes involve somewhat more involved explanation, but I remain unconvinced that ultimate answers are any more difficult to understand, post investigation.
It is redundant for you to demand "data" when it is sequestered by the authority, and for demonstrated reasons. Investigation is traditionally sequestered, a device that no longer serves the public at large, imo.

Corporate politics are no different from Government policies. In fact, they generally instruct the body politic in a leading manner. Conjecture here is overdone by default; "what-if" is part and parcel of the group discussion, based on data at hand.

Snide judgments of others' questions, and the bemoaning of "unproffessional" comment is not adding to progress here. The obligation to provide you with data is not mine, nor is it incumbent on others. For me, I read everything with an open mind.
Prior expectation emanating from a narrow background is the obstacle, not the answer. For me, I have been well-paid in the past working in accident investigation and reporting (writing), my curiosity with each post is served by its presence merely, I do not find anyone's contribution worthy of prior dismissal. Patience is meant to be experienced when thin, it is what causes thickening when challenged in future episodes. IMO.

best,
bear