PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter missing in the Mourne Mountains, & tributes to AJ
Old 29th Oct 2010, 05:42
P-M-G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Known fondly as f*****g AJ.....

One of the very best pair of hands I ever had the privilege of flying alongside. I clearly remember witnessing a masterclass of Puma instructional around a decade ago from the centre seat. Location was Ballykelly with AJ driving from the left teaching a young pilot (right hand seat) some of the more dynamic tactical aspects of flying the ac. Limited combat ready young pilot, just post conversion, was having a bad day in the office. AJ with a big sigh said 'I have f*****g control' and flew the next serial on rails passing on the knowledge and ability to do so. AJ was one of the few capable of safely demonstrating some of those techniques and learning occurred. Legend.

I'm also fondly remembering many crewroom escapades in Enniskillen and Bessrook, mostly regarding TV remote controls and colourful use of the English language. PC he was not which was his most endearing personal trait.

You'd be hard pushed to find a more experienced, qualified or competent pilot in the UK and he knew the Mourne mountains like the back of his hand.

Sincere condolences to all family and friends and a huge loss to the ex-miltary community.

RiP AJ.