PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Global models unveiled
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2010, 17:53
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GF

C-P. Yes, the B727 has a HUGE ACN (footprint) but I am surprised that SAC bases prohibited the plane. The ex-SAC base I operated had a PCN of 90 on the runways, the main taxiways and ramps. Remember, the B52 grossed over 400,000 pounds on four (count 'em 4) tires.
Sorry about that, no active USAF SAC bases ever prohibited us in the 727. It was after the base was transfered to the city where the base was located. I've been trying to remember which base and I cannot for the life of me, all I can remember was that the base was somewhere back east.

A side note, when we RON with the 72 in PHX we had to park on steel plates, or we would sink through the ramp. Many a beer was won by me by never missing the plates. The trick was to ignore the stop signal from the marshaler and the second you felt the main gear lift up on the plate, stop. That would leave you sitting dead center on the plates. If you waited for the marshaler, most times you would over shoot the plates and have to do a 360 on the ramp and try again. Most the people that missed, stopped short of the plates and then had to add a lot of power to get over the edge of the plate. That cost a beer for everyone by the PF as well.