PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Airforce C17 4 engine failure.
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2010, 14:02
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would imagine that I have been struck by lightning getting on for 20 times during my flying career (including a fire ball episode). My record was 6 times in a month operating DC-10s into and out of JFK.

On no occasion have I ever seen the slightest hint of a flicker on an engine instrument. However, it would have to be said that the most complex engine controls that I ever came across were the auto throttle systems on the DC-10 and the Short Belfast (which had the Smiths SEP-5 triplex auto-land system fitted as per the HS Trident). Both systems were excellent and did not respond to lightning strikes.

By the way, do any of you out there remember Flt Lt Ignatowski?

"Iggy" was (among other things) a famous captain on No.202 Squadron, based at RAF Aldergrove in Northern Ireland flying Handley Page Hastings meteorological aircraft.

In those days, there were no weather satellites or anything like that, so, apart from the weather ships which were based in the Atlantic, the only other way to find out what the weather was going to do in Europe tomorrow was to fly west into what was coming and take lots of readings.

So, why do I mention "Iggy"?

Well, it was considered that "Iggy" had been struck by lightning more than any other pilot on the planet.

That was why he was known throughout the RAF as the "Magnetic Pole".

Last edited by JW411; 28th Oct 2010 at 14:48.