PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maintenance at Elstree - Beware
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2010, 13:36
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm. Unfortunately it's also the most convenient place to use for those of us "oop Norf" wishing to get into central London ...
Damyns Hall?

I've seen an annual done overnight at one place....at least the day before the aeroplane was parked on the grass and the next day it was parked in exactly the same position yet had an annual. Including radio annual I might add, which promptly failed just after take off.

My friend was pre-flighting his (company's) twin engined turbo prop before a flight just after maintenance. It had been taxied back by the maintenance company and during the walk round he found one of the cowl plugs in the back of the engine.......

I get really annoyed with idiot maintenance outfits. Our mags had a 500 hr service last year...all well and good, except that they should have had a major o/h according to the ARC. So more downtime while they are sent away for 3 weeks to be overhauled again at another £1300. 3 weeks later they fail (causing the aeroplane not to start). Our maintenance outfit took them apart and found a rusty spring inside causing the problem which they fixed.

There are some really good engineers out there, and some real cowboys. The one we use now come under the really good category - they know what they are doing, are happy to show and advise, you can wander around their facility, and they are always happy to help in any way. They are extremely experienced in all aspects of what they do and I am gobsmacked how they can manufacture panels and aerofoils from sheet metal and get it exactly right. The difference is that they take pride in their work and love doing it, unlike some others I could mention who just see pound signs.