PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Owners looking for SFH's / SFH's looking for Aircraft...
Old 28th Oct 2010, 08:24
Aucky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
simondh - Thanks for that link, I shall have a look when i'm free later, it sounds like an interesting resource to investigate.

Jim - I did indeed read through that thread, I can relate where your coming from, and those who stated a similar opinion, I do however feel that any aircraft owner looking to hire out an aircraft is going to need to take on some element of risk, and it's up to them to to decide what levels of experience are the prerequisite to hiring their aircraft to reduce this risk. Insurance is obviously also designed to provide some protection against this risk also. In an ideal world everyone would put down a large deposit to cover uninsured losses, or insurance excess, and it is an area I shall ponder on, but realistically for many would it be a barrier to entry to the service? I also feel that one of the important differences between the thread you mentioned and this self fly hire agreement is that it would likely be stipulated that the hiring of the aircraft is (unless otherwise agreed) strictly not for training, auto's, hydraulic failure practice etc... which prevents a lot of the avoidable damage of overspeeds, hard landings, bent undercarriage. With regards to worn carpets, scratched windows, I have to say this this is general wear and tear that comes with use of an aircraft, and ultimately that is why the owner is generating and income from the rental. Obviously any users of the service not abiding by the code of conduct with regards to general respect for the aircraft, airmanship etc.. could be black flagged, from that aircraft and to other users of the site in more extreme cases to prevent the reoccurrence of such events within the community. I have also witnessed overspeeds on start but only by solo students or very low hour pilots (in my own experiences) and the vetting check ride should pay special attention to the pilots cockpit organisation and use of checklists, as in both pistons and turbines this is an area that can quickly cost a small fortune, but is easily avoidable.

S1lverback - It is up to the owner to stipulate their own conditions with regard to hourly requirements etc... and also up to the owner to ensure that the aircraft is accordingly insured. I think that the reason this service could be a success, is that really people can determine their own level of risk, by making their own stipulations. And there are people/operators out there at both ends of the scale. Simples.

Cheers all, Aucky