PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - End of an Era! Thin Edge of the Wedge?
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2010, 08:05
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paying for airfield maintenance

YPJT The cost of maintaining an airfield is something close to my heart, or is that my wallet? For more than ten years now a small group of us (less than six) have managed and maintained the Heritage listed Old Bar Airstrip near Taree, NSW. This airfield has been in existence since the late 1920's and our local Council tried on more than one occasion to close it and convert the area into sporting fields. It was arbitrarily closed in 1994 and it took six years to get it reopened. Council does not contribute to the maintenance at all, not even budgeted for. We, the Council appointed Management Committee, maintain the airstrip totally at our own cost except for a very small number of donations by some visiting users. We also produced, at our cost, a twenty page book entitled "Old Bar Airstrip - History in Brief". It is a good read and at $10 per copy Plus postage it is available through me. To anyone interested, PM me if you care to get a copy and learn how we won the struggle to preserve a bit of Australian Aviation history. No landing fees are charged. A great grass airstrip by the blue Pacific Ocean. Come visit and enjoy the experience. ERSA YOBR/ALA.

Last edited by Old Fella; 29th Oct 2010 at 04:28.