PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates - Wannabes & Recruitment VIII
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2010, 02:19
Mari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riri-health

Riri,

google "cabin crew health problems" and stuff like that. I'm sure you will find many useful and 'scary' info.

Flying is VERY VERY VERY unhealthy.

Here is a short list from a ppruner:

Bloating
Hearing problems..tinnitus
Lower back problems
Skin problems..dryness,acne
Eye problems ...tirigeum(spelling?)
Cancers..colon,breast,skin,brain tumours
Cosmic radiation..chromosomal damage
Feet problems..corns
Miscarriages
Fatigue and associted injuries..shoulder,hand neck
Short memory loss
Depression of the immune system
Negative effects on the endocrine cascade
Poor diet and associated problems
Oven burns
Dehydration
Bleeding nose

Veins? Very common problem. A friend of mine (boy) ,who has been flying for 5 years, had 2 operations already.

My biggest problem in Dubai is that I'm losing my hair big time. Everyone... All the girls are complaining about it... I have no idea why, I tried everything but nothing really works...

You will have plenty of spider veins FOR SURE, more and more will appear with time and with age. The painful dark veins will rather affect those who have history in the family. It's genetics: there is NOTHING to do against them. That girl should stop flying immadiately.

Don't worry, some people can do it long term. A lady, Barbara Beckett has just finished her 50th year at American Airlines and she still works...

Good luck with the open days!

TIP:

Guys, I got my life back!

I had constant shoulder and lower back pain. I had these problems for many years since I was a child. (By the way I'm perfectly healthy, there is nothing wrong with my spine or with my muscles according to the doctors. It must be simply the stess, I should't worry that much.) The pain got stronger in the last couple of months due to stess and the heavy containers and flying 120 hours a month...

I just bought MBT shoes. I was wearing them for 1-2 hours a day for 3 days in a row. Imagine: ALL THE PAIN IS GONE! TOTALLY!!! It's just unbelievable! It's good for the veins as well. (I bought sandals for Dubai and closed shoes for the layovers.)

Try them if you don't believe me and you tried everything else...

I feel like another person, honestly. I spread the word now because I feel so different. Better than yoga.

I swim a lot but it's not enough, I should do much more sports. If you are in a good shape (some of the crew are!), you won't have these problems. If you are 'average' like me, there is a good chance that you will experience these problems.

The weight issues are also very common after joining Emirates. That's one of the reasons you will get a bit bigger uniform... Girls and boys, you MUST watch your weight and control yourself.

All the above will be mentioned during your training. It's part of the training programme.

Last edited by Mari; 28th Oct 2010 at 04:52.