PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Winter Flying.
Thread: Winter Flying.
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2002, 17:11
sennadog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Flying.

Groan. I'm sorry for bringing up Winter so soon but I'm starting to think about it.

I can't make my mind up about what type of flying is going to be best to keep my skills up to a reasonable level. I went down to Goodwood today and I have to say that my RT was the best it's been, Nav wasn't bad, deadside join to an unfamiliar airfield was a bit tight and my landings were basically crap.

On that basis I reckon that I can keep my RT current by practising as I'm driving in the car on those long motorway journeys.

A few dummy plans each week should sort out the Nav, or at least keep me up to scratch.

Which leaves landings and deadside joins to unfamiliar airfields. Realistically, I'm only going to get 3 - 4 hours in over the winter per month due to money/wx/time constraints. On top of that I've got a enough left in my flying fund to cover Spin Training which I'm about to commence.

So, my questions are:

If I aim to do one session every other week in the circuit would this be enough to at least retain the skills if not improve them in gustier conditions?

Every other week, with a flying buddy trek off to unfamiliar airfields for the overhead joins etc to reduce costs? Thinking about it, I'll probably only get one deadside join in per month as the other guy is going to want to do the same.

Once, I have the Spin Training done how often should I go up with an instructor to keep current? There is no way that I'll indulge in spins on a solo basis - it must be with an instructor!

Any thoughts? What do other PPLs do who are challenged on the hours front during Winter?

Cheers All.