PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Staff Shortages?
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2010, 23:12
mrtwister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To retort,
I demonstrated day in, day out, that I could complete the runs with no issues recognised or referred to by the instructors which suggests I was not experiencing any ongoing areas of concern. I can't demonstrate competency in a job I haven't experienced yet. All I could do was perform at a level relevant to the program presented to me.
Secondly, no a job was not guaranteed, milestone completion was required. Having said that, our contract included DTI, Non radar and Radar milestones. No mention of Combined Ops which was added to the official assessment in the meantime.
Thirdly, I did my research, the Academy commitment was apparently 42 weeks which then, upon satisfactory completion, progressed to a significant payrise in Field training. However, half way through training, the structure was changed which blew our time in the Academy to about 54 weeks. I had calculated (financially) for a 42 week drop in pay, the extra 3 months was a killer. Having been told I was progressing well, I resigned from my job to cash in on leave entitlements so we could financially survive the extra Academy time.
So, yes, that was a bad move as no job was guaranteed but it was not a result of poor planning or lack of research.
Not having a go Jack, just a little disappointed and bewildered.