PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buttonville officially dealt death blow . . .
Old 27th Oct 2010, 21:36
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
It is sad to think of Buttonville closing, but I don't have the half zillion dollars to put my money where my mouth is, to keep it open. I have witnessed 3 very vibrant aerodromes close to Toronto close over the years, and was indeed the very last aircraft to use Maple (as a runway was being taken up at the other end!). My only course of action was to buy much cheaper land further north, and build my own home/aerodrome. Though I do not agree with Buttonville closing, I also am not willing to pay the actual value of the land there, in today's inflated market, to keep it open. If the airport were to support itself entirely on movements, what would the landing fees be?

When I first flew out of Buttonville, there were completely open fields for miles on three sides. Now none. It is actually a little un-nerving in a single in there now, as there are few suitable places to go if something goes bang. Though I regularly use Buttonville, I don't do it casually anymore.

It is not as much the failure of our government to buy up these airports to keep them open, as it is the failure to plan for their continued usefullness and harmonized existance with the community. It's one thing to own the airport itself, but if there is no control of the land on the approaches, and otherwise noise sensative areas, closing is just a matter of time, when a city encroaches. Consider what YYZ used to be like, before the whiners bought the cheap land, moved in, and started complaining. Thumbs down to them!

With a jet ban at the island airport, this will just place more pressure again on YYZ, to accept light to medium business traffic under reasonable circumstances. A city has to have an airport which will support it's business industry.

What a shame that Downsview was not locked up for open public use, when it should have been, 30 years ago. It was already federally owned, with suitably tolerant neighbours, and at the top of a good transit system too! What a waste that it should sit there now catering to only one limited use, and having the ends of its runways sold off.

Two weeks ago I was musing at the photo of a big aviation event at Buttonville, probably in the late 50's, which is on display in the lobby. One day, that photo too will be one which just reminds us of what aviation around Toronto used to be like. I wish I'd taken similar photos of Maple and King City, when I used to fly from those wonderful airports....

But, as I began... I cannot afford to pay my way to use land, which others will pay so much more for... I loose... Our industry looses....