PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Staff Shortages?
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2010, 21:04
mrtwister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC Academy

I for one just finished 54 weeks of ATC training at the Academy and I am glad to inform you that 5 students in my course have passed into field training. I, unfortunately, am not one of them. Despite being told that I was in the 'top half' of the group. Despite only ever really having one instructor sit between 2 trainees for the final 3 weeks of training. Despite having instructor feedback that always said, "busy run handled well". It seems that it is imperative to 'learn your airspace' and to 'account for aircraft performance' so that you are not giving requirements to aircraft that are:
a) not possible
b) so far inside aircraft profile performance that it would seem ridiculous.
Oh, but here's the catch. Don't do it in an exam, because then you are deemed NOT SUITABLE FOR FIELD TRAINING.
May sound like sour grapes, not really. More angry at the fact that after all the sacrifices, all the development, having demonstrated day in, day out that I COULD do this job, I am now heaved out the door with 2 weeks pay, on the dole, with a family of 5 to feed, despite no aircraft getting anywhere near each other.
But, hey, they're the experts.