PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MRA.4
Thread: Nimrod MRA.4
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2010, 19:30
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MFC

I agree, that there are many other roles for Nimrod, but SAR is hardly at the top.

Even a glance down your list shows that your favourites list is less than once a year. Hardly bang for buck.

Having glanced a bit further, surely you can do better than that lot? I mean, I've been taking the piss a bit, but you must have a better brag sheet than that?!

"22-24 July 1990. Nimrod of 206 Sqn carries out search for senior Civil Servants missing on a small open fishing boat in Indian Ocean. Sadly nothing found in search area. Empty boat found weeks later by merchant vessel."

I can shorten that to "flew a lot and accomplished nothing"

"3-4 February 1994. Six crews from 206 Squadron fly continuous SAR cover for 36 hours following the sinking of the MV Christinaki, 240 miles SW of Cornwall. Unfortunately there were no survivors in conditions described by the Nimrod crews as probably the worst they had ever seen: 80 knot surface winds and 50 feet wave heights."

"15 August 1987. Aided by air to air refueling, 120 Squadron crew conducted a SAR search, 4,000 nautical miles from base, looking for a light aircraft that had disappeared off West Africa. In 10 days, operating out of Ascension Island, the crew flew 93 hours and searched over 200,000 square miles of ocean. Eventually they located the aircraft wreckage and sighted the bodies of the two missing pilots"

I can shorten that to "flew an incredible amount at vast expense and accomplished nothing much"

"23 July 2001. Nimrod of 201 Sqn scrambled to conduct search for man overboard from QE2 in Atlantic. SAR helicopters were unable to conduct a prolonged search of the area due to it being at the limit of their range.

Please tell me some good dits, please!