PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAT II differences
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2010, 19:21
Checkboard

Received 133 Likes on 65 Posts
Can we agree that when briefing for a cat three approach the cat one plate is used (not the cat two plate).

If true please let me know why...apart from the cat two minima can't see much difference.
No, we can't agree . The difference is the minima and the missed approach performance resulting from that minima. The missed approach from a CAT I approach may only clear terrain by 100', so a lower minima may require a different missed approach path, depending upon terrain in the area. Compare the CAT I & CAT II charts for landing to the east at Athens. Attempt the CAT I missed approach on a CAT II or III from the minima and you will find yourself "terrain embarrassed"

Anyone out there fly for an airline which disconnects the autopilot at cat two at minima (or are we all auto landing)?
CAT I may be manually flown, raw data.
CAT II may be manually flown, but requires flight director guidance. (requires certified training)
CAT III must be an autopilot approach. (requires certified training)

My company saves on the training cost for CAT II manual approach (with flight director) by simply requiring CAT II approaches to be flown as autoland - thus the sim time spent for CAT III certification also covers CAT II (autoland).