PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Owners looking for SFH's / SFH's looking for Aircraft...
Old 27th Oct 2010, 16:00
JimBall

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not normally Mr Negative. But did you see the recent discussion here on doing leaseback with flying schools etc? You should read it. Not that you're putting your machine at risk - but it will be owned by someone or a group.

If you go ahead you MUST take a hefty deposit from each participant - and if they leave the group that deposit doesn't get returned until 50H have passed.

With no telemetry on R44s, you need to talk with an experienced engineer about how long it takes for pilot-induced faults to surface.

The most common probs:

Start-up throttle open - shows as a move of the blower fan nut. So ensure that each pilot takes a pic of that nut and its white line on finishing his session. And keep those (dated) files safe. An engine overspeed is £20,000+VAT.

Rotor overspeed - normally due to inconsiderate pilot with 4 up and showing off his auto skills. This may not manifest itself in the bearings for another 30-40H. It will require a strip-down and possible bearing replacement. Allow £7,000 worst case.

And there will always be the really stupid, small things caused by inattentive people - mashed door hinges due to leaning down on open doors, scratched windows, wrecked carpets. RHC know how to charge for spares!

A cautionary true tale. An SFH took an R44 off for a trip to his parents one summer. He arrived with the windows covered in dead flies. Next morning, his "up early" Dad decided to help by cleaning the windows of the helicopter. But the flies were baked on - so he got his Brillo pad. One very trashed and opaque screen - and a large bill.

I've seen SFH pilots take-off without warming the engine. I've heard the unmistakeable and sickening sound of an engine being started with the throttle wide open. And I've heard an overspeeding rotor system on final. All of these were followed by innocent denial by the "pilots".

I'm not saying don't do it. But just make sure all possible bases are covered.