PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Owners looking for SFH's / SFH's looking for Aircraft...
Old 27th Oct 2010, 14:11
Aucky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Earl - Thankyou, I appreciate the time you have spent considering the possibilities, and in preparing your informed and useful response I must say that I agree on all accounts. I didn't want to be over verbose upon starting the thread because it was intended just to test the water, and I conclude two lines of thought thus far, firstly a general agreement the idea in itself could be a useful service to pilots and owners, but secondly the numbers required to justify such an investment of time and money may not be achievable? (of the 400 thread views there have been very few replies, however nobody has been quick to shoot it down, which has been a pleasant surprise).

I agree on the flight testing topic. I had thought the same, a method of a standardised initial flight test (per type) for all participating members, then ongoing check rides, dependent on currency on type, similar to the 28day method used by schools, but realistically, a greater time frame. i.e. check ride each 4-6 months unless you have in the previous 6 months flown 5 hrs on type etc... open to suggestions.

I also agree that a code of conduct, or charter, signed by all participating members, would be a prerequisite to use of the service. I think we are talking on the same wavelength here, I wouldn't want to do this unless it was done properly, and professionally, because I believe that is the only way it could be done successfully, and safely. There is too much at stake for people to be expected to release their aircraft to the hands of unknown pilots without the comfort that there is a serious organisation vetting the prospective hirers, and it goes without saying that there would also be some responsibility on behalf of the owners to make sure that the machine is airworthy and insured etc... and responsibility on behalf of the organisation to maintain it's commitment to standards. Your point regarding PPRuNE is also a good one well received.

It's occurred to me that although my interest lies in helicopters I don't see any reason why this wouldn't also potentially work for the fixed-wing lot too; opening up that market may just widen the audience into a viable service.

simondlh - you input is appreciated also, however there is a slight misunderstanding
If I hear you correctly you're looking to develop a website with a search function that allows the user to find SFH schools. You don't need to take bookings or arrange the SFH for them, just display the information.
Although I would not intend to prevent schools from being able to list aircraft available to SFH, we're really talking about opening up the SFH market to other aircraft kept by private owners or syndicates. There would obviously be some requirement to generate a turnover from the site, for which I see a number of possibilities

To put it simply you need an 'information only' website. Earl's idea would take a monumental amount of effort and time (time is money), it would be like setting up a business
As Earl has pointed out, helicopter owners are going to be unlikely to hire out their aircraft to unknown pilots without the backing of a serious, and respected organisation. And I agree that the only way this can be done is if it's done properly. That doesn't necessitate the ability to take bookings etc, but it does require the backing of a recognised organisation. I agree that the effort required may be vast, but I have time I could allocate to such a project, and a very useful list of connections in webdesign, and good accountants and tax advisers also, so this side of it does not put me off, what would however is a lack of overall demand for the service.

Thanks for you input, I shall be mulling some ideas over for now, and look at some numbers. Any additional thoughts are encouraged.

Aucky