PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter missing in the Mourne Mountains, & tributes to AJ
Old 27th Oct 2010, 05:37
Hell Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An aviation forum where an aircraft crash is reported and which occurs within the region from where a large number of members are subscribed - you are going to have to accept that, of all the places in the world, this is exactly where you will find speculation.

Those of you who knew the persons involved will be offended by anything other than condolences and factual reports and some of the emotive comments posted prove this point. Sorry to you for the lack of sensibility on the part of some posters - I doubt if its intentional but this is the nature of the beast (both online forums and the speculations which arise after an event such as this).

Those who didnt know those involved - try to form your comments in such a way so as to avoid offending those who may be reading and who knew the victims.

In my view (and I am trying to be objective given that I haven't a clue who was involved and am unfamiliar with that territory) it is unreasonable to expect zero speculation on such a forum. Frankly, what else can participants do except speculate?

Much of the tension is caused by the fact that this has happened in your own back yard and where some people know each other. To prove the point, a notice: "Helo Down in Qinghai Province" (China) would be far less liekly to draw emotive responses (unless it were a Chinese forum without restrictions).

I see that even Senior Pilot has felt disappointed by some of the posts.

If the forum moderators feel strongly about the quality of responses (which means they care) then they should put up a 'code of conduct' to remind those with no emotional connection to the event to 'mind their words' and to protect the relatives and freinds of those involved.

If you want this to be a condolences thread with the only other published information being details released in the media - you should say so.

Pilots/others taking wild stabs as what may have happened and doing so in a way which might upset those close to the victims - stop it.

The best any of us can hope for in situations like these is that something useful is gained from the tragedy, something hopefully which might save someone else in the future!

HM